Wednesday, January 18, 2012

And the training starts...

Goals are good things.  They keep you honest.  I started running about 3 1/2 years ago.  I am not a good runner, don't break any records but I do put one foot in front of the other, quicker then a walk.  There.  I run.  I was always athletic but never a runner.  So, with the advise of a friend, I started the journey.  I hated treadmills.  I don't care what is on TV, you are running and going nowhere.  You are still in the same place.  Not for me.  I ran on treadmills to lose weight, not to run.  So, I took a running class and aspired to do a 5k.  I started to run outside.  I fell in love with trails.  I loves to plan the run and not long after I ran a 5k race and then a few more.  I loved them.  Loved competition, loved the people and what it stood for.  I never won any age group but liked to see my name under results.  What I loved the most was that when people were finished they would stay and cheer others on, everyone, even those of us finishing in over 30 mins.  I can remember a certain turkey trot I did and at the end you had to run up a big hill.  After the hill, it just evened out and you had another 1/4 mile.  No down hill, just flat.  I gave it everything I had up that hill and was done.  Then there was a guy just clapping yelling, "1 block, 1 time around the track to go!  You can do it!" I had no idea who he was but he was cheering me on.  I love this sport.
After a few 5ks I decided I wanted to run a 1/2 marathon.  13.1 miles.  I set out for it, looked up training schedules, spoke to my coach and off I went.  I trained by myself for 14 weeks and ran a 1/2.  I didn't break a record but I ran the whole thing.  No stopping, no walking.  That was my goal.  I finished in just over 2 1/2 hours.  1/2 way through the training I remember having a conversation with my husband about it.  I kept saying, "I can train for this thing all this time and then that day something could happen!  I could not feel well or just not have stamina, or...."  He would just look at me blankly.  But, I put it out of my mind and told myself, "I will finish, I will run the whole thing."  I just kept telling myself that over and over.  On the days I didn't feel like running, I kept telling myself that.  I visualized what coming over the finish line would feel like.  In the meantime, I inspired my sister to start running.  She is in great shape so it came natural to her.  Her normal speed is my sprint!  We ran a 5k together and she was hooked as well. 
The day came and I drove myself, alone to the race.  I had my usual long run breakfast and tried to stay calm and not over think.  When you run races there are lots of people around and the adrenaline can get the best of you.  The bell sounded and I just told myself, "run your race, no one else's."  And I did.  I ran my race.  My family was there every couple of miles to cheer me on.  I came over the finish line and gave my sister a hug with tears in my eyes.  She said, "I think I might want to do this!"  and so now....she has run 2 halfs to my one and has run multiple 10ks and 15ks.  She is now training for the NY marathon.  I am so proud I inspired her!  Now she inspires me!
SO, we are both running the Asbury Park 1/2 in April.  It will be the 2 yr anniversary of my first 1/2.  It is 14 weeks away.  I started training on Sunday. 
I am not scared, I am not nervous.  I am at peace.  I know the journey. What it will bring me and how I will feel.  The training has begun....

No comments:

Post a Comment