Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Blog Post...why am I doing this again?

So I have been following a bunch of people's blogs and really enjoy reading them.  Why?  I am not sure.  I do know I love to read and my favorite books are autobiographies.  Maybe that is it.  I kno I love to read about how a person becomes who they are, their life and their experiences.  So, here is it, my own blog...or autobiography, um, from today on....
So it is extremely cold here in the north east today.  I mean really cold.  Like single digit windchill cold.  With it being so cold and so DARK in the am, I blew the dust off my treadmill last night and set it up for a morning run before work.  For those of you that don't know, I took up running (I use that term loosely as my pace is pretty slow compared to real runners but hey, I run in my book....) about 3 years ago.  I quite smoking and started to run.  I started with 5ks and then decided to challenge myself with  1/2 marathon.  yep, 13.1 miles.  I took a running class (yes, it actually taugh me HOW to run) and trained by myself.  I ran my 1/2 in April 2010.  It inspired my sister who now has 2 1/2's under her belt and is planning to run the NYC marathon this year.  Yeah Gaetana!  So Gae and I decided to run the Disney Wine and Dine 1/2 in November.  But I digress....
So, I decided that I would not only run Disney but the Asbury park 1/2 on April 21st.  I like that 1/2 (it is fast and flat!) but it is also put on by my running club AND it was the 1/2 I did 2 years ago.  In order to run that mileage, I need to start to up my running now...hence the treadmill.  Problem is....I HATE THE TREADMILL.  I don't care what is on tv, what I am listening to, I just can't get over the fact that I am going NO WHERE.  I am running but not moving.  I just have an issue with this.  And it shows in my running.  I feel like I am killing myself but yet my average speed is slower.  Something about running outside with my dog that invigorates me.  The mileage never seems to be and issue.  So, I am going to "suck it up" and run on the treadmill until it gets light out earlier (or later).  But I am not happy about it.  Ok, but I did it.  I did run this am.  Much to Draven's chagrin.  He was a bit pissed that I was up and running and he still had to pee.  Sorry bud, ya gotta wait.
And with this cold and dark brings me to yet another problem, the dogs.  They don't get nearly the exercise they do in the warmer months and I am forced to train little things in my family room or florida room.  So, my dogs can now run out the door, weave 6 poles and run back inside.  YEAH!  But weaving with my next to them...problem.  ha!  I guess there cold be worse problems right?  So, 1 jump exercises and weaves.  if it isn;t muddy or freezing we do the teeter but I do envy those with indoor training areas.  There are some here but with my work schedule (I leave at 7am and don't return until 7:20) it is very hard to find a place I can rent or even take a class at 8pm.  SO....2 more months of this. 

1 comment:

  1. You are busy busy busy, but thats good..you occupy your time with things you love..Thats what lifes about..Good luck with the blog Marisa..I could never just sit down and write because I always felt like I was talking to myself and at my age, its a little too early for that yet :)

    ReplyDelete